Immerse Yourself in the World of King Crabs: Types, Prices, and Delicious Recipes
If you’re unfamiliar with king crabs, the epitome of luxury in the seafood world, this article will answer all your questions about these magnificent creatures. Among various crab species around the world, the king crab stands out for its exquisite flavor and distinctive appearance. So, what is a king crab? How much does a king crab cost? What are some delicious king crab dishes? Let’s delve into the details in this KINGFISH article.
I/ What Is a King Crab?
1. Identifying King Crabs:
The king crab, also known as the Alaskan king crab, is a type of marine crab belonging to the crab family. Renowned for its high economic value and premium meat quality, the king crab is one of the most sought-after seafood delicacies. Notably, they have an exceptional size compared to regular crabs, reaching up to 2 meters in length and weighing around 10 kilograms.
With a well-proportioned body shape, king crabs have 2 claws and 6 legs, with the main value lying in the leg meat due to its significant quantity. Their shells are tough, thick, and adorned with numerous sharp spines on the carapace and legs.
2. Nutritional Value of King Crab:
King crab meat is a rich source of protein and valuable nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B12, folate, and magnesium. It is also a good source of zinc, copper, phosphorus, and various other minerals. Notably, king crab meat is low in saturated fats, making it a healthy choice for those concerned with maintaining a balanced diet.
II/ Common Types of King Crabs
1. Red King Crab:
The Red King Crab, a variety of Alaskan king crab, is distinguished by its impressive red-colored shell. They are the most abundant among king crab species due to their adaptability to slightly warmer, riskier waters, a feature that Blue King Crabs lack.
Red King Crabs are usually found in regions like Norton Sound and Bristol Bay. They are typically priced higher compared to other king crab varieties like Blue and Golden Kings. Their diet includes various foods like worms, mollusks, arthropods, and algae. Red King Crabs stand out with significantly larger sizes compared to their crab counterparts. Their carapace can span up to 28 cm, leg span up to 1.8 meters, and they can weigh up to 14 kg. The distinctive deep red color of Red King Crab intensifies when cooked, adding to the appeal of this delicacy.
2. Golden King Crab:
The Golden King Crab, also known as Brown King Crab, inhabits various regions across the Pacific Ocean, including the Aleutian Islands and Japan. Compared to its Red and Blue King Crab counterparts, this crab species is notably smaller in size and contains less fat, resulting in lower nutritional value. Consequently, Golden King Crabs are generally more affordable.
The meat of Golden King Crabs boasts a natural sweetness and stands out with its tender white flesh adorned with fresh red streaks, making it a unique addition to seafood menus.
4. Blue King Crab:
Blue King Crabs, like other king crab varieties, are a prized and rare seafood delicacy known for their high economic value. Unlike Red and Golden King Crabs, the Blue King Crab is typically of average size. Their shells are characterized by a blue-brown color with vibrant blue spots, and their spines are sharp and prominent, adding to their distinctive appearance.
III/ King Crab Prices per Kilogram
Many people wonder about the price of king crab per kilogram. Here are the average market prices for your reference:
– Red King Crab: Fresh Red King Crabs are priced between 1,800,000 to 3,200,000 VND (Vietnamese Dong) per kilogram. For cooked crabs, prices range from 1,100,000 to 1,600,000 VND per kilogram. Frozen crabs typically cost between 800,000 to 1,000,000 VND per kilogram.
– Blue King Crab: Fresh Blue King Crabs range from 1,500,000 to 2,300,000 VND per kilogram. For cooked crabs, prices are typically between 1,000,000 to 1,400,000 VND per kilogram.
– Golden King Crab: Fresh Golden King Crabs are priced between 1,300,000 to 1,800,000 VND per kilogram. For cooked crabs, prices range from 900,000 to 1,300,000 VND per kilogram.
IV/ How to Prepare King Crab
Once you’ve acquired king crab, you’ll need to prepare it properly. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Start by rinsing the king crab and allowing it to drain.
2. Turn the crab belly-side up and use scissors or a sharp knife to puncture the underside of the apron until the crab dies.
3. Remove any string or bands from the crab’s body.
4. Remove inedible parts such as the crab’s gills, apron, and softshell, leaving only the crab meat.
5. Clean the folded parts of the crab’s body using a small brush.
6. Rinse the crab thoroughly and allow it to drain.
V/ Delicious King Crab Recipes
1. Steamed King Crab with Beer:
– Ingredients: King crab, beer, ginger, chili pepper, onion, green onion, seasoning (salt, chicken powder, cornstarch, pepper).
– Method: Steam king crab with beer, garnish with salt, green onion, and chili pepper. Serve hot.
2. King Crab in Tamarind Sauce:
– Ingredients: King crab, tamarind paste, sugar, fish sauce, garlic, shallots, chili peppers, peanuts.
– Method: Sauté garlic, shallots, and chili peppers. Add tamarind paste, sugar, and fish sauce. Toss king crab in the sauce and garnish with peanuts.
3. King Crab Gratin:
Ingredients: King crab, cheese, butter, flour, milk, salt, sugar, onion, garlic.
– Method: Create a béchamel sauce with butter, flour, milk, and seasonings. Combine with king crab, top with cheese, and bake until golden brown.
4. King Crab Garlic Butter:
– Ingredients: King crab, butter, garlic, white wine, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper.
– Method: Sauté garlic in butter, add white wine and lemon juice. Simmer with king crab, garnish with parsley, salt, and pepper.
VI/ King Crab Storage Tips
To prolong the freshness of king crab, follow these steps:
– Store king crab in a cool place, either in a plastic container or vacuum-sealed bag to keep them dry.
– If you plan to use the crab on the same day, place it in the refrigerator’s cool compartment.
– For longer storage, keep king crab in the freezer at temperatures between 0 to 4 degrees Celsius.
If you don’t have access to a refrigerator, you can prepare a cooler with diluted saltwater
(brine) and keep the crab submerged to maintain its freshness.
King crabs, with their colossal size, exquisite taste, and nutritional value, are truly the kings of the seafood kingdom. While they may come with a hefty price tag, the experience of indulging in king crab dishes is worth every penny. Whether you’re a seasoned seafood enthusiast or a newcomer to the world of crab, king crab dishes are sure to satisfy your culinary cravings and leave a lasting impression on your taste buds. So, why wait? Dive into the world