What delicious dishes can be made from squid ink? Share 5 tasty dishes using squid ink
I. How to Prepare Squid Ink
To know what delicious dishes can be made from squid ink, it’s essential to understand how to select and prepare squid ink properly. Here are some guidelines:
Step 1: Purchase Fresh Squid Ink
Choose squid ink that is bright in color, without any brown or black discoloration and free from any foul odor. If you are buying live squid, select ones with soft, flexible bodies and clear, bright eyes.
Step 2: Rinse Thoroughly
To remove any dirt and residue, rinse the squid ink with clean water. Gently rub the squid ink in the water with your hands to clean it thoroughly.
Step 3: Remove the Membrane
After rinsing, you need to remove the membrane from the surface of the squid ink. You can use a sharp knife to cut it away, or simply squeeze it gently to peel it off.
Now, let’s move on to preparing delicious squid ink dishes!
II. Spicy Grilled Squid with Sa Tế Sauce
What can you make that’s delicious with squid ink? The simplest and most popular squid ink dish is Spicy Grilled Squid with Sa Tế sauce.
• 2 fresh squid
• Sa Tế sauce, chili powder, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, cooking oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce
• Grilling rack
Instructions for grilling fresh squid with Sa Tế sauce
- Rinse the squid thoroughly and let them drain. Then, make a few small cuts on the squid’s body to allow the seasonings to penetrate evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of Sa Tế sauce, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Add some minced lemongrass, shallots, and garlic to the mixture.
- Marinate the squid with the seasoning mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Skewer the squid using skewers and place them on a grilling rack in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 10-15 minutes.
When serving, you can accompany it with some lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes to enhance the flavor and enjoy the spicy, crispy, and delicious grilled squid with Sa Tế sauce.
II. Steamed Ginger Squid
Besides Spicy Grilled Squid with Sa Tế sauce, another delicious answer to “what can you make with squid ink” is Steamed Ginger Squid. It’s a simple and time-saving dish. Let’s take a look at how to make it!
• 500g fresh squid ink
• 2-3 pieces of fresh ginger
• Purple onions (optional)
• Seasonings: bouillon powder, black pepper, sugar, fish sauce
• Fresh cilantro (optional)
Instructions for making Steamed Ginger Squid
- Rinse the squid ink thoroughly and let them drain. If the squid ink is too large, you can cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the fresh ginger. Slice the purple onions into thin rings.
- Lay a layer of squid ink on a steaming tray or plate, then add a layer of finely chopped ginger and sliced purple onions on top of the squid ink.
- Prepare the steaming sauce by mixing fish sauce, sugar, bouillon powder, and black pepper in proportions suitable to your taste. When preparing the sauce, you can also add some finely chopped fresh ginger to enhance the flavor.
- Place the steaming tray on top of a pot of boiling water, and steam the squid ink for about 5-7 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- After steaming, add fresh cilantro on top of the steamed squid ink to enhance the fresh flavor.
- Serve the Steamed Ginger Squid on a plate and enjoy it while it’s still hot, accompanied by fragrant white rice.
This dish has a sweet and tangy ginger flavor, the distinctive aroma of squid ink, and the fresh taste of cilantro. It’s a simple yet enticing and nutritious dish that you can enjoy with family and friends.
III. Crispy Breaded Squid Ink
When it comes to what delicious dishes can be made from squid ink, you can’t overlook Crispy Breaded Squid Ink, a unique and exciting dish.
• 500g fresh squid ink
• 2 eggs
• 150g bread crumbs
• Seasonings: bouillon powder, black pepper, cooking oil, fresh ginger, chili sauce, mayonnaise, wine
Instructions for making Crispy Breaded Squid Ink
- Rinse the squid ink thoroughly and cut it into small pieces. Then, marinate the squid ink with one tablespoon of bouillon powder, ½ tablespoon of MSG, and one tablespoon of cooking oil for about 30 minutes.
- Separate the egg yolks into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and mix them with the bread crumbs, then whisk the mixture well.
- Heat a pan with cooking oil. Take each piece of squid ink, coat it in the bread crumb mixture, and place it in the hot oil. Fry the squid until they turn evenly golden brown on both sides. Before serving, remove them from the oil to drain excess oil.
- Arrange the Crispy Breaded Squid Ink on a plate and serve them with a side of mayonnaise or chili sauce to add a special flavor. This crispy squid ink dish is a perfect combination of the crunchy texture of bread crumbs and the unique flavor of fresh squid ink.
IV. Spicy Steamed Squid Ink
Another familiar dish when it comes to what delicious dishes can be made from squid ink is Spicy Steamed Squid Ink. Let’s see how to make it!
• 500g fresh squid ink
• Garlic, chili peppers, cilantro
• Fish sauce, sugar, spices
• Lime juice
Instructions for making Spicy Steamed Squid Ink
- Rinse the fresh squid ink thoroughly and soak them in rice wine to remove any fishy odor. Then, make some crosswise cuts on the squid ink to allow the seasoning to penetrate.
- Marinate the squid with black pepper and bouillon powder for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the squid ink in a steaming pot and steam for about 15 minutes or until the squid is cooked.
- Prepare the spicy sauce by finely chopping chili peppers, cilantro, and garlic, then grinding them into a paste. Next, add some sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice and mix well.
- Arrange the steamed squid ink on a plate, pour the spicy sauce over the squid, add some cilantro leaves as a garnish, and enjoy this flavorful and stimulating dish.
V. Squid Ink Curry
When discussing how to make squid ink dishes, we can’t forget Squid Ink Curry, which is a somewhat unique and intricate dish. Let’s see how it’s prepared!
• 500g fresh squid ink
• 2 purple onions
• 2-3 potatoes
• 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder
• 200ml coconut milk (or fresh milk)
• Bouillon powder, black pepper, sugar, fish sauce, cooking oil
• Cilantro leaves (optional)
Instructions for making Squid Ink Curry
- Rinse the fresh squid ink thoroughly and let them drain. If the squid ink is too large, you can cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into thin rounds. Slice the purple onions into thin rings.
- In a pan, heat a bit of cooking oil. Then, add the curry powder and stir in the oil until fragrant.
- Next, add the purple onions and potatoes to the pan and sauté for a few minutes until the ingredients become tender.
- Add the squid ink to the pan and mix well with the other ingredients.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir it into the ingredients. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use fresh milk as a substitute.
- Prepare the curry sauce by mixing fish sauce, bouillon powder, black pepper, and sugar in proportions that suit your taste. Then, add the sauce to the pan and mix well.
- Simmer over low heat until the squid ink is tender and infused with the rich curry flavor.
- Serve the Squid Ink Curry on a plate and enjoy it while it’s still hot, accompanied by fragrant white rice.
This dish has the fragrant richness of curry, the distinctive aroma of squid ink, and the sweetness of the potatoes. It’s a delicious and enticing meal to enjoy with family and friends.
Above is a list of 5 delicious and popular dishes prepared from squid ink. Each dish offers its own unique flavor and provides a high level of nutrition for your entire family. Give these tasty dishes a try to add variety to your meals!