What is a Golden Threadfin Bream? How much is 1kg? Prepare properly and suggest dishes
The golden threadfin bream, also known as “cá trích” in Vietnamese, is a popular fish in Vietnam with significant economic value. Let’s explore the nutritional richness of this fish through this article.
I/ What is Golden Threadfin Bream?
1. Identification of Golden Threadfin Bream
The distinguishing features of golden threadfin bream include:
• Thin and small round scales that are prone to falling off.
• A serrated, sharp-edged belly resembling a saw.
• A tall and rigid dorsal fin, with a split tail in the middle.
• A relatively small head with a slightly protruding lower jaw.
• Prominent and larger eyes compared to the head.
• A slender, elongated body with a greenish color.
• Smaller bones compared to many other fish species.
• The main gill system of the golden threadfin bream is located at its head.
2. Nutritional Value of Golden Threadfin Bream
Golden threadfin bream is a common fish in Vietnam and offers various valuable nutrients. Here are the nutritional values and health benefits of golden threadfin bream:
• High Omega-3 and DHA Content: Omega-3 is essential for brain development and cognitive function, particularly in children. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is also found in golden threadfin bream and supports brain and nervous system development, enhancing memory and focus.
• Abundant Vitamin D: Golden threadfin bream contains plenty of vitamin D, which supports bone and joint health and plays a crucial role in preventing conditions like high blood pressure, depression, heart disease, and insomnia.
• Traditional and Diverse Culinary Use: Golden threadfin bream is used in various delicious dishes such as fried fish, stewed fish, grilled fish, sun-dried fish, three-color threadfin bream with eggs, canned fish, and fish sauce, providing an opportunity to savor the unique flavor of this fish.
• Improved Skin Elasticity: Unsaturated fatty acids in golden threadfin bream can enhance skin condition and prevent aging.
• Lower Bad Cholesterol and Raise Good Cholesterol: Golden threadfin bream can improve heart health by increasing good cholesterol and reducing bad cholesterol, protecting the heart.
• Pregnancy Support: Omega-3 and DHA in golden threadfin bream are beneficial for pregnant women, improving sleep and fetal development.
These nutritional and health benefits make golden threadfin bream an essential part of many people’s diets.
II/ Popular Varieties of Golden Threadfin Bream
1. Round Golden Threadfin Bream
Distinguishing features of round golden threadfin bream include:
• More meat and fewer bones, providing a softer texture.
• A round body shape, contrasting with the elongated body of threadfin bream.
• Red-colored meat, which is less nutritionally valuable and less preferred compared to the white meat of threadfin bream.
2. Threadfin Golden Threadfin Bream
Distinguishing features of threadfin golden threadfin bream include:
• White, firm meat.
• A silvery body, creating an appealing appearance.
• Rich flavor and slightly fatty texture, making it a preferred choice.
III/ How Much Does Golden Threadfin Bream Cost Per Kilogram?
Golden threadfin bream is a reasonably priced option for daily meals. On average, one kilogram of golden threadfin bream typically costs between 80,000 to 100,000 Vietnamese Dong. However, prices can vary depending on the region and seasonal factors.
IV/ Proper Handling of Golden Threadfin Bream
To properly handle golden threadfin bream after purchasing, follow these steps:
• Scale the fish, gut it, and remove the intestines.
• Lightly rub the fish’s surface with a little lime juice to remove mucus and ensure cleanliness.
• Rinse the fish thoroughly with cold water to remove any impurities.
• If you don’t have lime, you can substitute by rubbing with salt or rinsing the fish with cold water containing a bit of alcohol or vinegar.
If you want to save time, you can also buy pre-prepared golden threadfin bream from reputable supermarkets or food stores.
V/ Delicious Dishes Made with Golden Threadfin Bream
1. Golden Threadfin Bream Salad
• 500g golden threadfin bream.
• Ginger, chili, garlic, lemongrass, lime, white sesame seeds.
• Seasonings: Vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, fish sauce.
Step 1: Prepare the Golden Threadfin Bream
• Scale the golden threadfin bream to clean it, then remove the tail, head, fins, and gut.
• Soak the fish in diluted saltwater for about 5 minutes, then drain. Use a knife to remove bones from the fish.
Step 2: Prepare Other Ingredients
Wash and drain ginger, lemongrass, chili, garlic, and lime. Grind ginger and lemongrass finely. Chop 3 cloves of garlic finely and slice 5 chilies thinly.
Step 3: Marinate the Fish
In a bowl, place the boneless fish, add the finely ground ginger and lemongrass, mix well, and marinate for 2 minutes. Then add 100ml of vinegar, mix well, and marinate for another 30 minutes.
Step 4: Prepare the Fish Sauce
In a small bowl, add garlic, chili, and lemongrass, along with 3 tablespoons of sugar. Mix well and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Step 5: Make the Salad
• After marinating the fish for 30 minutes, remove the excess vinegar. Squeeze 2 limes into the bowl to make the fish more aromatic and tender.
• Then, add the prepared fish sauce to the fish and mix well. Finally, add 5 tablespoons of sesame oil and some white sesame seeds. Mix everything together, and your golden threadfin bream salad is ready.
2. Grilled Golden Threadfin Bream:Ingredients for Grilled Golden Threadfin Bream
• 1 kg golden threadfin bream.
• Banana leaves (for wrapping).
• Chili salt.
Instructions for Grilled Golden Threadfin Bream:
Step 1: Prepare the Fish
• Clean the fish by scaling, gutting, and removing the head, tail, and fins.
• Soak the fish in diluted saltwater for about 15 minutes, then remove and rinse thoroughly.
Step 2: Grill the Fish
• Prepare a charcoal grill until it reaches a medium-high heat.
• Wrap the fish in banana leaves and grill each side for about 5 – 10 minutes, depending on the size, until the fish is fully cooked. Make sure to grill both sides evenly to ensure even cooking.
• If using an oven, grill the fish at 200°C for about 15 – 20 minutes until fully cooked.
• For an air fryer, grill the fish at 160°C for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Side Dishes
Clean and rinse the water spinach leaves. You can also use other fresh herbs like lettuce, basil, mint, and coriander according to your preference.
Step 4: Serving
• Grilled golden threadfin bream should have a beautiful golden color and an enticing aroma.
• To enjoy, take a piece of fish, place it on a water spinach leaf, roll it up, and dip it in chili salt or sweet and sour fish sauce.
3. Braised Golden Threadfin Bream with Pork Belly
Ingredients for Braised Golden Threadfin Bream with Pork Belly:
• 500g golden threadfin bream.
• 200g pork belly.
• Other ingredients: Chili, scallions.
• Seasonings: Cooking oil, sugar, salt, chicken powder, ground pepper, fish sauce.
Instructions for Braised Golden Threadfin Bream with Pork Belly:
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
• Clean the golden threadfin bream by removing the guts, fins, and scales. Soak the fish in diluted saltwater for about 15 minutes, then drain.
• Slice the pork belly into thin pieces. Set aside.
• For chili, finely grind about 4 peppers, and clean and chop scallions.
Step 2: Marinate the Fish
• Place the fish in a pan and marinate it with ground chili, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of chicken powder, 1 teaspoon of ground pepper, and 4 tablespoons of fish sauce.
• Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and 2 tablespoons of sugar to another pan, then heat it over medium heat. When the sugar melts and turns brown, pour this caramel into the pan with the fish. Mix well and let the fish absorb the seasonings for about 15 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the Fish
• Remove excess fat from the pork belly and wait for the fat to firm up.
• Next, add the fish and the remaining pork belly to a pan, and braise over low heat with the fat from the pork belly. Cook for about 15 minutes until the fish and pork are fully cooked. Then, add some scallions, and your braised golden threadfin bream with pork belly is ready.
Step 4: Serving
This dish will have an appealing color and a delightful aroma. The tender fish, combined with the slightly fatty pork belly and flavorful seasonings, guarantees a delicious meal.
VI/ How to Store Golden Threadfin Bream for Longer Freshness
Method 1: Freezing
• Cut the golden threadfin bream into fillets.
• Package the fish in vacuum-sealed bags or freezer bags and place them in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The fish can be stored for up to 6 months.
Method 2: Moist Storage
• Use a piece of thin fabric and soak it in saltwater.
• Wrap the wet fabric around the golden threadfin bream.
• The fish will be preserved longer this way.
Method 3: Vinegar Preservation
• Wrap the fish in a thin fabric that has been soaked in a vinegar-water solution.
• Store the fish in the refrigerator. This method can keep the fish fresh for about 10 days in the fridge.
These are some basic information about golden threadfin bream and its health benefits. I hope this article has provided you with valuable insights into this delicious and nutritious fish.